Let's Kickstart This Thing! is a series of 5-minute videos in which I attempt to detail all the steps involved in bringing a board game from prototype to production via Kickstarter.
In this episode I discuss the basics of building your initial board game prototype as well as some of the materials you will need.
Do-It-Yourself Game Pieces
- Foam Board – for quickly making custom tokens
- X-ACTO Knife – easily cuts paper, foam board, cardboard, etc.
- Pacific Arc Cutting Mat – save your table, cut on this instead
- Aluminum Ruler – allows you to cut straight lines with your X-ACTO knife
- Glossy Sticker Paper – full sheet sticker paper – print on it and then stick it on foam board or chip board to make higher-quality looking tokens
- Plain Cards – seller of perforated printable card sheets
Manufactured Game Pieces
- Chessex – all the dice you’ll ever need
- Great Hall Games – various pre-made game pieces
- WizDice – 100 Random Polyhedral Dice – a mixed bag of 100 random polyhedral dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20)
- The Game Crafter – a wide variety of pre-made game pieces. You can also use this website to build (and even sell) a decent-quality prototype.
- The Kobold Guide to Board Game Design – contains a lot of very useful information from some very well-known people in the board game industry
Open Source (Free) Graphics Software